Map


View Summer 2012 in a larger map

Wednesday 18 April 2012

Leaving Aghios Nikolaos

Well it's been more eventful than I had hoped but at least we're off tomorrow.
We went into the water a week ago only to find out that there was a nasty grinding sound when we put here in forward gear and gave her some welly. After a sleepless night thinking about it, I figured it out. I had adjusted the position of the rope cutter on the prop shaft and it was now too close and the prop was pushing it into the cutlas bearing. I psyched myself to dive on it for three days but in the end it wasn't as bad as I expected and all was sorted in half an hour.
We had a lovely Greek Easter with spit roasted lambs and a pig. After final preparations on Monday, I went to the port police for a routine checkout only to be told by a sharp-eyed police woman that my boat registration is out of date and we weren't allowed to leave!
After a very stressful morning on Tuesday trying to sort it out and staring a delay of weeks in the face, I ended up applying for a new Small Ships registration which was e-mailed to us on Wednesday afternoon and checkout went fine.
Actually, none of this slowed us up as the weather has been awful for the past few days - gusting at 50mph (severe gale) overnight and blowing a hoolie for a few days.
Anyway, its clear for us to go to Spinalonga a couple of hours North tomorrow and than probably to do the first longish passage on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment